Thursday 26 August 2010

How to get hold of Hydroponic Gear? Shop for it. Doh!




In my searches for information about hydroponic equipment mostly using Youtube, Google and Ebay I had become aware of retailers and nurseries who supplied all this material off the shelf.

Although the expense was much larger with my equipment list costing up to £3,500 all told it did have certain benefits. The Gallery would not ask me about portable appliance testing for example if I could show them a receipt for newly bought equipment, at first I thought that was just about the only benefit and I could not afford the kit

To follow my researches I visited two hydroponic superstores in Manchester, Holland Hydroponics (who also have a store near Crown Point in Burnley) and the Manchester Hydroponic Centre. I went first to Holland Hydroponics. It was surrounded by galvanised palisade fencing and had an intercom entry system with a double lock door. There were notices about how much cash (none) was held in the premises on the window. I pressed the buzzer and was let in. Inside the shop had all the ambience of any nursery with hydroponic systems on display and a series of plants, squashes, tomatoes, bananas growing in display areas intended to show off the products. I was impressed to see product ranges such as the Secret Jardin range of tents and the rows and rows of nutrient solutions with titles like Organic Bud Blaster and B52 Voodoo Juice. There was an impressive array of reflectors, ventilator systems, carbon filters and electronic control systems mostly made by Canatronics who manufacture the eco-switch. I approached the sales assistant and bought a hydroponic plant pot which I have now converted into a lampshade and some diamond pattern mylar sheeting. I told him about my project and asked if there was any way in which they could become involved.

He said that his boss would have to decide and that I should send them an email. Nothing happened as a result of this.

Next, I went to Manchester Hydroponic Centre. It was much the same story here. The unit was just around the corner from Focus DIY. Door security was laxer but this was compensated for by the presence of a large bull terrier that was barricaded in beyond the cash desk but very much capable of making his presence felt.

The staff were friendly and helpful and when I told them what my project was they said that they had been recently hired by the BBC to set up a grow room as part of the shooting of an episode of Gavin and Stacey and that this would be a similar type of thing.

In the event they offered to hire me a higher specification of equipment than I had originally asked for, this would include a CO2 bottle and control system. For me this offer seemed reasonable. It had the following benefits –

1. It would provide me with that all important VAT receipt (My accountant will be happy!)

2. It would prevent me from having to deal with somebody who I did not know in a place where I did not know and who was probably not in any sense straight.

3. It would mean that I was not faced with the problem at the close of the show that I would have to dispose of the equipment for cash again to someone I did not know who was not all that straight.

So that’s a plan…

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, very nice to hear that, inside the store had all the atmosphere of any room with hydroponic techniques on show and a sequence of vegetation, squashes, tomato vegetables, apples increasing in show places designed to show off the products.
    hydroponics supplies

    ReplyDelete